FENCERS LOSE TO ELI BUT WIN FROM GREEN

CAPTAIN CARILLO QUALIFIES IN SINGLES COMPETITION

By virtue of a victory over Dartmouth on Saturday night, the University foilsmen have qualified for the intercollegiate finals to be held in New York on April 1 and 2. The other team to qualify from the northern division was Yale, with a record of three victories and no defeats.

Outerbridge Wins With Sword

Saturday afternoon Yale defeated the University fencing team by the unexpectedly large score of 9 to 4. Harvard lost with the foils 6 to 3 and with duelling swords 3 to 1. In the foils bouts Captain Carrillo of Harvard was easily the star, winning all three of his matches by large scores. The strength of the Yale team lay in its balance, all of the men being equally good. With the duelling swords Yale won as had been expected, Outerbridge's victory over Brown giving Harvard its only score. In addition to the victory over Harvard, Yale won from Dartmouth 13-0, scoring a complete triumph in both foils and sabres, and from M. I. T., 6 to 3.

The line-ups in the Harvard-Yale meet were as follows: Foils: Harvard, Captain A. G. Carrillo '26, A. R. Allen '26, and Howard Finney '26: Yale, Captain Elwell Every. Lee; Duelling swords: Harvard, R. P. Oaterbridge '28, J. F. Davidson '27; Yale Brown, Snow.

In the evening the University foils team earned the right to enter the finals by adding a 6 to 3 victory over Dartmouth to their 5 to 4 win over Tech of the previous evening. In the Dartmouth meet all three of the University men lost to Cetrullo, but defeated the other two Green foilsmen. Dartmouth had no duelling sword team. The Harvard line-up was the same as that which faced Yale in the afternoon. Dartmouth was represented by Cetrullo. Townsend, and Lilly.

In the only other meet of the series M. I. T. defeated Dartmouth 7 to 2. Levis of M. I. T. was the outstanding individual star of the four teams, and qualified first for the individual tournament which is to be held at the same time as the team finals. He won all of his bouts except that with A. R. Allen of Harvard. The other men to qualify for the individual finals were Elwell Every, and Lee of Yale, and Carrillo of Harvard.

While Yale and Harvard are to represent the New England division in the finals of the foils, Yale is the only team that has definitely qualified with the duelling swords and sabres. The other team in the duelling swords will be Harvard or M. I. T. according to the results of the play-off to be held on Friday.