SHADOW OR SUBSTANCE

Because President Coolidge stands as the political enigma of the country, an ordinary Senatorial campaign in Massachusetts takes on the aspect of a critical duel. In the President's home state, his friend and adviser, Senator William M. Butler, must vanquish the popular ex-Senator David L. Walsh or else expose the Administration to uncertain danger.

It is a popular puzzle to determine definitely upon what foundations Mr. Coolidge's power rests, whether it is rooted in party or tradition or principally in Massachusetts. The coming campaign bids fair to solve a part of this riddle, that portion which asks whether Massachusetts support is essential to the present administration.

For Senator Butler's record at Washington has been none too impressive And now, with the mid-term reaction rising ominously, Mr. Walsh, in his undoubted popularity, stands a very good chance of being elected.

If the White House confidant should be repudiated, from whatever true cause, by the President's home state, the possibilities are infinite. To the country at large, it will appear as a rebuke to the President himself. Would the halo of staunch Puritan piety and common sense fall away from Mr. Coolidge in the eyes of fickle politicians? Would his hopes for a third term fade? These are interesting speculations. If shorn of his home support, the President should remain in the saddle, he would afford an instance of party control remarkable in American history The coming campaign which is fraught with such intriguing possibilities will be more zestfully watched than is usually the case with senatorial battles.