Class of 1930, Plus Dropped Freshmen, Not to Exceed 1000

Character to Be Considered--To Discard Upper Seventh Rule for Preparatory Schools

Details of a further restriction in the enrollment of the Freshman Class were announced on the blanks sent out yesterday to all applicants for admission to Harvard College next fall.

The existing limitation of the Freshman class to 1,000 members will be continued with the added stipulation that this number is to include "those students who have been dropped in a previous year from Harvard College or the Harvard Engineering School and readmitted in September, as well as candidates from other colleges to registration as Provisional Freshman." The effect of this ruling will be to limit the number of men admitted from secondary schools to about 830.

Blanks Just Sent Out

Since the number of students who qualified for admission last year exceeded this figure, the Committee on Admission has been forced to increase the requirements of a successful applicant. This year each application will be individually considered by the Committee and great emphasis will be laid on character and personality.

Satisfaction of minimum scholastic requirements will no longer insure candidates of admission. Blanks are being sent to principals and teachers requesting full information about the individuals from their schools who are planning to enter Harvard.

Candidates are also required to submit with their applications a recent photograph of themselves. Although in all cases, and especially in those of doubt, great weight will be attached to these testimonials of character and the personal photographs, preference will still be shown for those whose examination average is unquestionably satisfactory. After all the above mentioned factors have been considered, personal interviews with candidates will be requested by the Committee if there is any doubt about their admission.

Change Upper Seventh Plan

A change in the system of admission without examination was decided on at the same meeting, which passed the enrollment limitation. The circular letter sent out by Mr. Henry Pennypacker '99, Chairman of the Committee on Admission, reads, "The application of the rule concerning candidates to be admitted from the first seventh of their class will hereafter be discretionary with the Committee on Admission." The Committee further announces that in 1927 and after that admission without examination will be limited to schools which do not usually prepare their pupils for the College Board examinations. Such schools are specified as high schools in smaller cities, in rural districts, and, in general, at points remote from Cambridge. This means that students from the big endowed academies and the large city high schools in New England and elsewhere, will be admitted to Harvard after 1926 by examination only. Applications from other institutions, which are still qualified to enter students without examination, will be decided individually by the Committee in the light of all the information available.