BOOKMARKERS

Hugh Walpole says that an unmistakable diagnostic of one who reads for education is the presence of scrawling annotations or sententious question marks in the margin of his books. If this is true, some extenuation must be granted to the frequent bibliocasts who leave their tell-tale tracks in the books of Widener. The comments embellishing these volumes are merely evidences of the careful if belligerent attendant with which the annotators read.

Not only a scribbling satisfaction but also legitimate learning accrues to these marginal decorators. A book which inspires comment has provoked at least a semblance of thought. Indeed an annotation may sometimes indicate an idea which the text book author might well have considered.

In any event, the discovery of an oasis of penciled opinion is a saving delight to the weary. Often, it may be simply an exchange of invective which gives a gratifying glow of superiority. Or it may be an amusing fatuity which is seriously set down as a sagacious contribution. All are refreshing and provide a much needed distraction. Artistic annotation is a not unpleasing addition to Widener's mass of material.