PROFESSOR HART'S RESIGNATION

It is just about a year since Harvard men heard with regret that Dean Briggs had resigned. Now they learn that Professor Albert Bushnell Hart has announced his withdrawal from active teaching. Within the span of twelve months the University has lost two of its foremost standard bearers.

Professor Hart's contributions to historical knowledge have been too boundless to enumerate. A man of indefatigable energy, what he has not written he has edited, so that it is no generalization to declare that he has had his finger in almost every historical pie baked in the last forty years in this country. To realize the truth of this statement it is only necessary to glance in the preface of any work on international law or diplomatic history, and note the ever-present thanks for his advice and sagacity.

Despite his great knowledge and reputation, Professor Hart has appealed even more to the hearts of Harvard men than to their minds, since, like Dean Briggs, he has had an even greater affection for the University than for his studies. Since 1883 he has taught here uninterruptedly. Countless graduates have gone from his classroom into the diplomatic service.

Professor Hart, it is pleasant to note, has no thought of quitting his studies. He plans to keep his Widener office so that the Yard will still be able to catch a glimpse now and then of another member of Harvard's Hall of Fame.