CRIMSON ORATORS BEARD TIGERS IN JERSEY JUNGLES

Chapman, Williams, and Lorenzen Represent University--Face Uphill Fight

The University debating team left for its invasion of Princeton. The debate tonight is the last of the Harvard-Yale-Princeton triangular series, and it also marks the close of the Eastern Debating League season. The University team will uphold the affirmative of the question "Resolved: That education is the curse of the present age" This is the same subject that was contested in the Harvard Yale debate two weeks ago.

The debaters with Coach H. P. Sharp 1L left on the Fall River line for New York last night. From New York this morning they will go directly to Princeton where they will spend the day. The men who are making the trip. D. W. Chapman '27, Barrett Williams '28, and F. W. Lorenzen '28, are the same three who were picked a month ago as the affirmative team.

Face Uphill Fight

The task which confronts them in the contest tonight is particularly difficult since the affirmative side has been demonstrated as the harder to present logically and convincingly. The team is relying on a combination of humor and logic to carry them to victory over their more strongly entrenched opponents A brief outline of their proposed plan of attack has been made public.

Barrett Williams '28, who will be the first speaker for the University, will hold as his chief contention that education ossifies the mind. F. W. Lorenzen '28 intends to enlarge on the evil of specialization which has grown out of the modern educational system. The last speaker for the affirmative, D. W. Chapman '27, will broach the issue in a somewhat more humorous vein. His arguments are based on the assumption that people are becoming too educated to be either comfortable or agreeable. He is also going to decry the decay of modern literature, putting the responsibility for this decline on the development of education.

Squad Has Been Saving Its Voice Up until the beginning of this week, the team has been resting after its preliminary preparation. Two practice sessions have been held in the last few days to enable the debaters to brush up on their arguments.

Tonight's debate marks the close of a, so far, very successful season for the University team. The first triumph, that over Oxford last fall, was in many ways the most notable forensic achievement of the year. Following this debate three triangular series with other teams in the League were held. The first resulted in victories over Wesleyan and Brown and the second in a win from Pennsylvania. The only defeat of the entire season was at the hands of Williams, through a default by the University team. The climax came two weeks ago in the victory over the brilliant Yale debaters.

After the debate tonight the Coolidge medal will be awarded to all members of the team in recognition of their services to the University this year.