EDUCATION CURSE REMAINS DESPITE NASSAU DEBATERS

Chapman, Williams and Lorenzen Are Princeton Opponents--Negative Duplicates Yale Win

By gaining a two to one decision over Princeton on Saturday night, the University debaters carried of the first honors in the Harvard-Yale-Princeton triangular series. Following their victory over the Yale affirmative team two weeks ago, the University men demonstrated their versatility by taking the opposite side against Princeton and again winning the judges' decision.

Clinch Big Three Title

The debate on the subject, "Resolved: That education is the curse of the present age", was in the informal English manner, and was characterized by the wit and cleverness of the speeches on both sides. The team which clinched the Big Three debating title for Harvard was composed of D. W. Chapman '27, Barrett Williams '28, and F. W. Lorenzen '28.

"Education Kills Originality"

Williams, in the first speech of the affirmative, attacked education on the ground that it kills originality and makes a mere card index of the brain.

B. M. Strauss opening the Princeton side of the argument, demonstrated the broadening value of education and said that many of the evils referred to came from a lack of instruction.

After satirizing several prominent educational institutions, Chapman, the final speaker for Harvard, gave the essence of his argument by saying, "education hardens the mind, thickens the skull, makes us uncomfortable within and unbearable without."

Charles Howard, the last Princeton speaker said that education had brought all our modern comforts, and was also fundamental in building character.