GRIDIRON PRACTICE TO BEGIN AFTER VACATION

PRACTICE SECRET, POSSIBLY EXCEPT MAY 1

With the opening of spring football practice scheduled for Monday, April 26, the day after the spring vacation, preparations for the initial session are rapidly coming to a head.

Arnold Horween '21, head football coach, will return to Cambridge from Chicago on April 24 in time to direct the opening practice. Although nothing definite has been decided about the choice of the assistant football coaches for next year, it is believed that Coach Horween will bring at least two of his future assistants back with him on his return from the West. It is also very likely that the chief assistants will not be Harvard graduates, but men from other colleges who have been associated with Horween in his football career subsequent to his graduation from Harvard.

Practice to Be Secret

Although all spring football practice has been declared secret, efforts are being made to have it open on Graduates' Day, which is May 1 this year. In case this plan is successful graduates will have their first chance to see the workings of the new regime this spring.

The canvass fence which is to surround the further portion of Soldiers' Field, and insure the players and coaches of secrecy will be started next Monday. The field which is to be used by the University squad this spring is the same one the Freshman team played on last fall.

Candidates Begin Work

The first definite preparations for the initial turn-out of the football aspirants were started yesterday, when the newly called out managerial candidates reported at the Soldier's Field Locker Building. Their work consisted in overhauling the supply room and starting to put the equipment in shape.

The managerial competition is still open and all Freshmen who have considered entering it are urged to come out. Contrary to a recent report, previous experience in a Freshman competition is in no way necessary. The competitions are entirely distinct from each other, and as the records of the last few years show, success in the second by no means depends on having won one of the positions in the first.