THE STUDENT VAGABOND

Although I am sorely tempted by Professor Gay's lecture this morning in Harvard 1 on "Western Expansion", wherein he will emphasize the points of free land and scarce labor even a vagabond cannot be in two places at once, and at 9 o'clock, I expect to hear Professor Tatlock instead. He is speaking in Sever 30 on "Social Conditions of the Restoration Drama." It was Mr. Basil Dean who was recently interviewed to the effect that the drama of today, because of comparable social conditions bears certain startling resemblances to that of the period which Professor Tatlock is discussing.

The Music Building will be the scene of my academic adventure this morning. Professor Spalding is enlisting for his course in the appreciation of music the services of the Durrell Quartet of Boston, four very excellent musicians, who will play string quartets of Mozart and Beethoven.

One of the most famous sections of a famous course, History 7, is that on the Hapsburg Valois wars. In the absence at Paris of Professor Merriman, it will be begun today at 11 o'clock in Emerson J by Professor Whitney. He will take the same theme on Tuesday and Thursday of next week. These three lectures will be of particular value to the Senior who faces divisionals in History, but since no vagabond ever got as far as divisionals, I may go downstairs instead to hear Professor Ripley in Emerson D. He is to talk in Economics 4b on modern tendencies in Industrial organization, taking up integration and monopoly. Not only has Professor Ripley added to his fame recently by his opinions on the status of non-voting stock in modern corporations, but he has also achieved the distinction of being referred to in the Transcript as a Yale professor.

One of those courses in which consistency of excellence renders almost impossible the selection of individual lectures will probably claim my attendance at 12 o'clock. Professor Lake will continue the story of Abraham.