ENGLISH EDUCATOR WILL TALK ON SOVIET SCHOOLS

WAS SPECIAL COMMISSIONER TO MOSCOW IN 1924

"Education in Soviet Russia" will be the topic of a lecture given at the University on Tuesday evening, April 27 under the auspices of the Graduate Education Club of the School of Education by Dr. Lloyd Storr-Best a noted English classical scholar, and one of the principle-examiners of the Joint Examining Board of the Five Northern Universities in England. The meeting, which is open to the general public, will be held at 8 o'clock in the Phillips Brooks House.

Dr. Storr-Best is thoroughly acquainted with the Bolshevist educational system as it works out at present, as well as with the old Russian system which flourished under the Czarist regime. In addition to having lived many years in Russia, Dr. Storr-Best has recently taken extended trips through Czechoslovakia, Ingoslavia, Roumania, and Bulgaria for the British Board of Education with the purpose of making a detailed investigation of all types of education in these countries.

Was Commissioner to Moscow

In 1924 the British government sent him as Special Commissioner to Moscow in order to make a study of educational conditions in the Soviet schools and institutes of higher learning During the next year Dr. Storr-Best was the representative of the British Ministry of Education at the International Congress for Higher Education at Belgrade.

Dr. Storr-Best is a man of wide education. A graduate of the University of London, he has studied at Cambridge, Rome, Florence, for a short time at the University of Moscow, and for three years at the Sorbonne.

Besides being a noted educator, he is also a man of letters of reputation. He is the author of a translation, with texual criticism, commentary, and notes of "Varro on Farming," as well as the writer of a number of volumes prominent among which are "Science in the Roman Empire," "Heracleitus and Modern Theories of the Kosmos" "A Roman Farmstead" and of many magazine articles and reviews in the Classical Quarterly and elsewhere.

Dr. Storr-Best has also collated classical manuscripts in the British Museum Bibliotheque Nationale, and the Library of the University of Bonn, was formerly a Member of Council of the Classical Association and is now the President of this society.