And Again

The much press-agented, film version of "Brown of Harvard" has finally been released for the screen, the picture having been exhibited at the Harvard Union. The production of this play in April, 1907, was the occasion of a notorious riot at the opening performance at the majestic Theatre in Boston. The film will be shown this week at Loew's State Theatre in the Hub City, and the Harvard CRIMSON expresses a fear that, judging by the reception it received at the hands of the large crowd of undergraduates who witnessed the picture at the Union, a repetition of the 1907 riot is probable.

According to the CRIMSON, "the picture given of Harvard undergraduate life is a thoroughly untrue one, and gives a very false impression of university events." Book publishers, theatrical producers, and motion picture directors seem to take peculiar delight in unveiling to the world misrepresentations of university life that may help appease the appetite of the public for collegiate calumny.

We can imagine nothing other than exaggerations of college life similar to "Brown of Harvard" as responsble for such a remark as made the other day by a professor at Ohio Wesleyan University to the effect that the American college student of today resembles "an emotional flat tire due to over-stimulation cause by fast living." Unfortunately, as usual in these reflections, no supporting evidence is given so that any rebuttal is out of the question. All we can do is to take these cubistic portraits in the good-humor that Thomas K. Beecher said made all things tolerable. --Cornell Daily Sun, April 24.