BARBEE SUPREME AS CRIMSON WINS

1929 Downs Cushing--Ketchum Hits Well and Hurls Good Ball--Heavy Hitting First-Year Nine Undefeated

With rain impending at game time on Soldiers Field yesterday, the University baseball team decided that it would be good strategy to decide the game in the very first inning. With this in view, and assisted by the Bowdoin team and a high wind, the Crimson outfit marked up six tallies in the opening canto. As far as winning the contest goes, these runs were entirely wasted, for John Barbee was in fine fettle, both on the slab and as a batter. His single manufactured the only run that Harvard needed to win, as his good right arm yielded but three infield hits to the invaders. No Brunswicker reached second base, and only four left spike marks on the first sack.

The Freshman team, playing against Cushing Academy, emulated to some extent the brilliant baseball of the University men, defeating the schoolboys to the tune of 7 to 4, and showing some excellent hitting.

Chase, substitute fielder on the 1928 nine, replaced the veteran Ullman at second base, and though the shift did not add to the team's attack, Chase made several hard stops around the mid-way sector, accepting three chances without the semblance of an error. Coach Mitchell also changed his batting order in the hope of improving the team's scoring power. Chauncey was moved up to the sixth place, Sullivan at the same time dropping to the next to the last post.

A base on balls, a passed ball, a wild pitch, and three errors were the Bowdoin contributions to their downfall in the first. The Crimson nine added a stolen base and four hits, so that when the dust cleared away, the score read Harvard 6, Bowdoin 0.

This is the way it all happened: Jones sauntered and went to second on a passed ball. Zarakov chased him over with the first marker, and himself took third when Ellison's hit, aided by the wind, dropped safely for a single. Todd smacked the ball to the third baseman, and Zarakov was trapped between home and third. Ellison, in the meanwhile, decided that he would occupy the far corner, and so when Zarakov decided the same thing, the Bowdoin third sacker found himself in the unusual position of trying to tag two men at once, invading his domain from two sides. The Crimson runners took advantage of his momentary perplexity by sliding safely into the bag. Third-baseman McLaughlin tagged them both as they stood on the bag, while the umpires tried to decide who had legal right to the Bowdoin dwelling. They finally decided that Zarakov was the rightful tenant, and Ellison was evicted.

So two men were still on, and only one was out. On the next play, Tobin hit to the shortstop who tried for Zarakov at the home plate. The catcher dropped the ball, Zarakov scored, and Todd and Tobin paused at first and third. Todd scored when the shortstop booted Chauncey's grounder, and Chauncey took second, and Tobin scored a moment later on a passed ball. After Chase struck out, Sullivan and the wind combined to give Harvard another hit and run, and Barbee's single scored Sullivan after the latter had pilfered the keystone sack. Barbee took second on a wild heave, but he languished there when Jones, up for the second time, was erased on a grounder.

With the horse safely stolen, Gray, the Bowdoin hurler, decided to lock the door, and thereafter limited the Crimson to four hits and one run. Chauncey opened the third with a single, and Barbee drove him home with the second of his three hits. Except for this inning, Gray kept the Crimson allotment of hits per inning to one or less, and his teammates played tight ball behind him.

Barbee in the meantime was breezing along in great shape. He allowed single scratch hits in the third, fourth, and fifth, but after that he retired the side in order. He fanned nine men, two of them-pinch-hitters, and did not issue a free trip to first. Behind him, Captain Todd played a great game in left field, and in spite of the tricky air currents, he took care of the five flies that came his way flawlessly.

HARVARD  a.b.  r.  h.  p.o.  a.  e.Jones c.f.  4  1  0  2  0  0Zarakov 3b.  4  1  1  2  1  0Ellison, r.f.  4  0  1  0  0  0Todd l.f.  4  1  2  5  0  0Tobin. 1b.  3  1  0  8  1  0Chauncey c.  4  2  1  9  0  0Chase 2b.  3  0  0  0  3  0Sullivan, s.s.  4  1  1  1  3  1Barbee, p.  4  0  3  0  3  0  34  7  9  27  11  1BOWDOIN  a.b.  r.  h.  p.o.  a.  e.Mahar s.s.  3  0  0  0  4  1Lord 2b  4  0  0  0  3  1Dysart r.f.  3  0  0  1  0  0McLaughlin 3b  4  0  1  4  2  0Ranney c.f.  3  0  1  0  0  0DeBlois, c.  3  0  0  6  1  1Williams l.f.  3  0  0  2  0  0Lincoln 1b.  3  0  0  10  1  0Gray p.  3  0  1  1  2  0*Sibley  1  0  0  0  0  0**Morrill  1  0  0  0  0  0  31  0  3  24  13