COLLEGE DRAMA BRIGHT SPOT IN YEARS OF STAGE DECADENCE AND REVUES

PREFERS STAGE--SILENT DRAMA IS TOO SILENT

"The College drama is rapidly coming into its own," declared Miss Anne Forrest, attractive star of "Seventh Heaven," which recently played at the Hollis Street theatre. "I saw last year's Hasty Pudding performance, and if ever I was enthused over anything, it was over the future of college dramatics. This sort of work, probably more than anything else, will tend to keep the drama alive during these terrible years of musical comedies and 'hotsy-totsy' revues.

Sees Decline of the Revue

"The country is mad over these musical shows, but this state of theatrical affairs will not last very long. As is the case after every emotional wave, the public turns its thoughts to more sedate things, to things which are conservative.

"Modern day dramas," continued Miss Forrest, "are of the very poorest type. Their plots possess nothing but the same old sentimental appeal to the audience. The public is desirous of something now, something startling. That is why it patronizes the musical comedy, in a vain attempt to unearth something spectacular. The public will never be satisfied. It will turn next to the serious drama; then, we will have another complete reversion to the musical revue. I predict, however, that in five years, Ziegfeld's Follies will be a thing of the past.

The Fittest Shall Survive

"Should college men turn to the stage for their careers? No, unless a man feels that he is born for the stage. It is hopeless for one untalented, regardless of one's wealth and one's education, to make a success on the stage. It is a game based on the survival of the fittest, and a young man could struggle until his hair is gray without obtaining the least success. Stage life is a 'hand to mouth' proposition.

"Personally, I think the stage presents a much broader field than the motion pictures. I can do more with it, and the fact that I am not talking for nothing encourages me in my work. There is room for expressing oneself by means of the mouth and one need not be limited to expression by action.

"In deference to my friend, Ada May, I shall not express my opinion or my views concerning the Charleston."