EUROPEAN SCHOLARS JOIN 1926-27 STAFF

Sikes, President of St. John's College, Cambridge, to Take Latin 8--Etienne Gilson Will Give Philosophy 13a.

That four European scholars will give courses next fall at the University was learned with the recent publication of the announcement of the courses of instruction offered by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences for 1926-27. Two of these come from English universities, and two are professors at the Sorbonne, Paris.

In addition to these two American educators, Professor R. M. Gay of Simmons College and Professor A. O. Norton of Wellesley, will give lectures.

Professor E. E. Sikes, who is President of St. John's College, Cambridge, will give the first half year of Latin 8, a course given last year by Professor E. K. Rand and Professor Fairclough. The first half year of this course deals with the works of Horace, Persius, and Juvenal. Professor Sikes will also give a new course, Classical Philology 79, on Lucretius and Epicureanism.

Sikes is Classical Scholar

Professor Sikes is a classical scholar of high authority. In addition to having edited a number of works such as Aeschylus' "Prometheus Vinctus" and Homeric Hymns, he is the author of a book entitled. "The Anthropology of the Greeks," and another called "Hero and Leander," a translation in verse from the Greek.

Professor R. S. Conway, the other English teacher, is a professor of the University of Manchester, and an honorary Fellow of Cains College, Cambridge. He as well as Professor Sikes, is a classical scholar of note and will take the second half year of Latin 8, dealing with Cicero and Lucretius, and Classical Philology 78 on the influence of political reflection in Latin poets and historians.

Gibson Gives Philosophy 13a

Philosophy 13a, on the evolution of mediaeval thought from the ninth to the fourteenth centuries, a course not given last year, will be conducted in 1926 by Professor Etienne Gilson, head of the department of Mediaeval Philosophy at the Sorbonne, and director of the department of Religious Sciences at the Ecoledes Hautes Etudes. Dr. Gibson has also been professor at the Universities of Lille and Strassbourg. He has published some works on the philosophy of the Middle Ages and a number of books, prominent among which is "La Liberte chez Descartes e la Theologie."

The other French lecturer, Professor Michel-Charles Diehl of the Sorbonne will speak in Fine Arts 14f and 14g, the first on Byzantine Art in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, and the latter on the Role of Syria in the formation and expansion of Byzantine Art.