MORE CHANGES

According to the daily press, Trinity College plans three innovations, all consonant with the drift of liberal thought in education. The first is an elaborate freshman week with the intent of truly initiating the new arrival into the ins and outs of the college before he plunges into the maelstrom. The second contemplates the abolishment of mid-year examinations. It is purposed to rest grades during the year on judgments more co-incident with the actual work performed in courses. The third and last reform is identical with that most recently instituted in Harvard and Yale, namely, permission for upper-classmen seeking distinction to reduce the burden of courses.

Of the changes, the freshman week is least promising. The program for the entrants is a heavy one. Within the week, they are to meet their faculty advisor in conference and the faculty ensemble at tea; they are to discuss the question "why are you here?" and to hear old grads expound the college spirit and sing college songs. Besides, they are expected to take a psychological test during the week and to undergo a medical examination. Although the program has the advantage, now universally acclaimed, of familiarizing the student with his teachers at the very beginning of his college career, it nevertheless, in the form proposed, appears so compact a performance as to be confusing.

The last two changes are clearly progressive. It might be feared that to abolish mid-year tests-would leave a void in the system of grading. In this case, however, there is definite intent to substitute the instructor's judgment for the results of the quizz. And, as if to emphasize that the quality of work required is not to be lowered, President Ogilby has announced that students failing in a large proportion of their work will be dropped their first mid-year, on the basis of instructors reports as heretofore on the results of examinations. Comment on the permission granted distinction men to carry a lesser burden of courses would not be superfluous. It is not that the measure is unquestionably right, but simply that it is at present being earnestly tried at many points. Opinion awaits the results of these trials and welcomes the extensions of them as a boon.