BOOTH SLATED TO TURN BACK BATES

Burns and Jones to Start in Outfield With Captain Todd--Black Probable Hurler for Down East Team

With two successive defeats to make up, and with the opening game of the Big Three series coming on Saturday, the University baseball team will try to get back into their winning stride against the nine from Bates this afternoon on Soldiers Field at 4 o'clock. Saturday the team will face the strong Tiger squad, winner of 12 of its 17 starts.

Booth ace of the Freshman team of two years ago, will probably be Coach artchell's mound choice. In case Booth falters, Cutts, Sophomore moundsman, will probably take up the burden. Cutts let down Springfield with six hits, the University nine winning 2 to 0. That was Cutts' last debut, and he has not pitched since. Puffer pitched on Saturday against Pennsylvania and Barbee is scheduled to try his hand at Tiger taming this week-end.

Sophomores Replace Ellison

No changes are anticipated in the rest of the Harvard line-up. Burns and Jones, both Sophomores, seem definitely to have displaced the veteran Ellison in the outfield. Burns has not shown much punch with the stick, but his speed, both on the paths and in pursuing flies have given him an edge on the slower, though reliable, veteran, Ellison has not been able to hit this year, until he regains his batting eye, he will scarcely be able to regain his lost position. In the infield, no changes seem likely for the potent Chauneey has been doing adequate work behind the plate, and though his foul catching is notably weak, he has been throwing well, and his prowess at bat gives him a clear margin over the veteran ReRham.

The only infield position that does not appear entirely stable is first base. Tobin, a letterman from last war's nine, has been fielding adequately, but his hitting has been weak. Lord is not yet ready to play, but when he returns for practice, probably within the next ten days, Tobin may find himself on the bench with the husky 1928 star covering the first turn.