COLLEGE FILLER

Whenever the metropolitan press finds coaching to write of moving picture actresses and all the other luminaries of modern existence, it turns to the college or filler and rams into its pages to minis after column concerning such vital college matters as Ford cars or cafeterias. If these articles were sane and sound or in any way represented the colleges as they really are, there could be no complaint. But never is that the case.

Recently local papers have found that the most important characterizes of Harvard in the vernal season is funny automobiles. Now there are very many funny and ridiculous and otherwise entertaining automobiles at Harvard. Just as there are all manner of humorous accessories at any place. But comparatively few undergraduates find touring in Fords their sole occupation in the spring months. No one has as yet, either in faculty or college, risen to exclaim. "The Ford's the thing." It is not.

And one can go further in a similar line and arrive at a truth concerning contemporary literature of the journalistic breed: the tabloid idea is misrepresenting everything. In their desire for the graphic, the colorful, the papers are forgetting the approximation of the truth which is possible of their attainment. Heckled by moving pictures and novels the colleges are yet able to maintain their own self respect. But it is time for a period of temporary repose when the college world can for the nonce find that the world outside expects other than a circus parade every time that two undergraduates leave their college gates.