EX-GOVERNOR ALLEN OF KANSAS TELLS PLANS OF COLLEGE WORLD CRUISE, WHICH LEAVES IN FALL

"University Afloat" to Reverse Procedure of University on Shore, He Says

The following article was written by Ex-Governor H. J. Allen, of Kansas, about the College Cruise of the World which is to leave the United States next September on the S. S. Ryndam. Governor Allen will be the editor-in-chief of the daily paper which is to be published on shipboard, and he will also be in charge of the courses in Journalism. In the article printed below he describes the plans which have been formulated for the cruise and also explains its purposes.

The "University Afloat" presents many features that differentiate it from anything before attempted. Its entire plan is different from a tourist trip, and in the work of organizing the educational program. It in most things completely reverses the procedure of a university ashore.

The plan is to take 450 American students with a Faculty of about 50 both carefully selected for an eight months' trip around the world, starting next September visiting over 30 foreign countries. It possibly has greater similarity to the famous trip of General Grant around the world he went as a private citizen, but was received officially by all the foreign governments.

While the acceptance of students for registration is requiring careful work, in is a simple problem compared with selecting men to accept faculty positions. However, 450 boys living together on a steamer for eight months, means one outstanding word--Selection. Certain broad principles were laid down by the leader, Dr. Thwing. Acceptance is based on character first, then scholastic standing, vigorous health, elimination of the lazyminded, and acceptance of those who have something in their minds they wish to study, see, or do. This work looked formidable it is proving very easy. Informationss is easily obtainable. The colleges have shown a cooperative spirit and pride in wishing to have their institution represented by their best students. Therefore, the students will average much higher in character and personality than under the requirements of a university ashore. This means that the question of moral safety, welfare and health are more easily controlled.

The selection of the Faculty to act on shipboard is to a large extent different from that of one for a university ashore. On shipboard it is predominately a proposition of living together. The greatest good to the students will come not from the studies or lectures during regular school hours, but from the close association during all hours of the day for eight months with outstanding men of character, culture and personality. There fore, the question of personality and character of the members of the Faculty transcends in importance their exact academic attainments.

A greater difference in procedure is that at the beginning the Executives only indicated the courses of study which could be taken to advantage on such a trip, and while a small tentative faculty list could be set forth, yet the additions to the faculty cannot be arranged for until the students register and state what their requirements are in each of the courses of study.

Private Side Trips Banned

Probably the trips ashore represent the newest ideas and the greatest differences from a regular tourist or sightseeing trip. On the trips ashore it has seemed wise to establish the policy that students may not take side trips apart from the entire party. The value of these trips will be enhanced by the personal contacts that are made and the places that may be visited from an educational standpoint under the guidance of representatives of the foreign governments or of the local university or other educational organizations.

While the educational work will be carried on following the best ideas of University work ashore, yet the environment on shipboard, which might lead to distractions, means changes of procedure which must be carefully planned. Co-ordinating the studies on shipboard with the visits ashore means extensive planning. The protection of the students ashore in cooperation with the various Governments will be comparatively simple, but those students interested in Foreign Trade will wish to visit places in which the students of art and architecture are in no way interested--those interested in Journalism, Archeology, Classics, Economics, Government and History will usually wish to go in different directions, in groups in charge of the faculty members interested in each course, assisted by natives versed in each particular subject.

The project has a larger purpose--that of broadening the minds of the students, not only by way of facts learned and information gathered in the many countries visited, but through personal contacts with individuals, observation of peoples and forms of life hitherto strange and unknown to them. Such an experience can scarcely fail to enrich the minds of those taking part in it, at the same time creating new interes's for them and producing a truer perspective on their own lives and the country to which they will return. The difference is more one of attitude rather than places visited, as the students will probably see as many of the "sights" as on any other trip, he will see them from an educational standpoint and under most favorable auspices.

Broad Education is Aim

The registrations thus far received indicate that the appeal to parents and students is about evenly divided among three classes. About one-third are graduates of Preparatory Schools whose parents wish to give their sons a year of travel under exceptional auspices before entering college or business. About one-third are undergraduates who want to receive credits for their year's work so they will lose no time, but many ignore the question of credits, whose parents are interested more that their sons receive a broad education rather than a technical one based upon a degree. The other third are graduates, who want to take up special studies for which this trip would be especially suitable, or general postgraduate work, or those who want to take probably their only opportunity for travel before they enter business or a profession to see the world before they settle down. After they once become engrossed in business, the opportunity may come too lace in life to be of the greatest good.

Another point which means something new and a great difference from the usual tourist trip, is that there will be unusual facilities for gymnasium work and sports of every kind. Matches will be held in some foreign countries.

Never before on shipboard has there been such an opportunity for material for a daily newspaper. It is planned to publish one in which the students will assist in the editorial work. Each copy will contain an article from some student or member of the faculty, written under the inspiration of exceptional environment. This daily newspaper will represent during the trip, and be a facsimile of, 48 American newspapers.