OPENING GUN FOR REGATTA STARTS 150-POUND RACE

Lightweight Seating Unchanged for Both University and M. I. T.-- Previous Record Favors Tech

The first event of the week-end regatta will take place at 5.30 o'clock this afternoon when the University 150-pound crew meets the M. I. T. lightweight oarsmen. The race comes as the vanguard of the three feature contests tomorrow afternoon between the regular, second, and Freshman representatives of the University, Pennsylvania, and M. I. T.

Penn Takes Brief Practice

The Penn oarsmen arrived in Cambridge yesterday morning and went out for a brief practice session about 4 o'clock in the afternoon. Spuhn, former 150-pound coach at the University and now crew mentor at Penn, arrived with the squad of invading oarsmen.

The Tech crew, already victorious over Yale and Princeton, is rated a decided favorite in today's 150-pound contest. In their races this spring the Tech oarsmen have shown a combination of power and precision which have made them heretofore invincible. Three weeks ago they triumphed over Yale, finishing almost two lengths in the lead with lots of power left at the end of the race. A week later they led Princeton to the finish line.

Comparisons Favor M. I. T.

This is their chief claim to the position of favorites in today's race, since Princeton won from the University and Yale last Saturday for the Big Three title.

While comparisons of past showings would indicate a Tech victory this afternoon on the Basin, the result is by no means a foregone conclusion. Princeton was better last Saturday than in its race with Tech the week before, and Coach Newell's men feel that they can put up a race which is likely to furnish an upset in predictions based on their defeat by the Tigers.

University Seating Unchanged

The University boat stroked by Dudley Merrill '26, who is winding up his third season as pace setter for the Crimson light weights, will retain the same seating as in the Big Three regatta. Ganz is at bow, with number 2, Jenney; 3, Pool; 4, Bowditch; 5, Collins; 6, Taft; 7, Whiteside; stroke, Merrill, and cox, Gross.

The Tech crew will also keep the same line-up which has already carried it to two notable victories. It is, bow, Libbey; 2, Greer; 3, Copeland; 4, Kaufman; 5, Peterson; 6, Eaton; 7, Nichols; Stroke, Valentine; cox, Dearle.

The race will be over the regular mile and five sixteenths Henley course.

Badger to Referee Tomorrow

Final arrangements for the races tomorrow were announced last night. W. E. Badger of Yale has been chosen as the referee. The times at which the various races are to be held have been changed somewhat, and now call for the Freshman contest, which is first in order, to begin at 5 o'clock. This will be followed by the Junior race at 5.45 o'clock, and the race between the University crews at 6.30 o'clock.

In case any further changes are necessary they will be made by putting the races half an hour later, and the spectators along the shore will be notified of such changes from the launches. Drawings for position at the start will be made this afternoon.

Two Crews Leave for Derby

This morning at 10 o'clock, the Freshman 150-pound crew and the Junior A crew, winners of the class championship, will leave for Derby where they meet the corresponding Yale eights tomorrow.

Both Crimson crews are considered fairly strong but since nothing at all is known of the power of the Yale outfits, dopesters on the races are at a complete loss.