The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

A NEW START FOR DEBATING

The amalgamation of the Debating Union with the Harvard Union comes after the latter's most successful and the former's most dismal season. It has long been hoped that those behind the Debating Union could contrive to attract the members of the University continually and consistently. With many optimistic fits and starts they have made little actual headway. Evidently, by itself, the Debating Union was destined to remain an attractive idea.

But as an activity of the Harvard Union, debating will possess a different status. Under the surveillance of a well-run organization, it; will presumably receive the regular periodical attention which is the sine quinine of its success.

And the presumption is the more warranted because debating has been specifically delegated to a sub-committee of the Student Advisory Committee of the Harvard Union.

What success cannot be predicted is at least to be hoped for. For, free and open college debating under a comprehensible system is much to be desired. At Oxford, it has made statesmen at Harvard it has as yet made nothing.