AN AMERICAN UNIVERSITY

The announcement in the CRIMSON this morning concerning the pamphlet just published by the University in which figures prove that not only have the proportion of entrants to Harvard from high and preparatory schools remained the same as the numbers have increased but that the enrollment is now even more representative of the country at large is more than merely entertaining reading. To those who have during the last few months interested themselves more and more in the function of the University these statistics are one more illuminating reference to a state of affairs which should be adequately understood by all who have a true interest in the future of the University.

If Harvard is to assume the position of American university, that is, if she is to attempt to reach with he influence not alone the youth of New England but the youth of the nation, as represented by the new enrolment figures, she must gird herself to meet the requirements of that youth. Not the insular function of a provincial university those duty is to the youth of that area, but the wider function of a center of learning open to all those in the land who are best fitted to work under her guidance--that is the difficult role which is now Harvard's.

Harvard, therefore, cannot give her all to the preparatory schools of the East or to the ghettos of Eastern cities Coming from the plains of the Middle West and the Pacific Coast, from all parts of the country are boys in whom rests what promise the country has of fulfilling her purpose as a modern nation. All of these must be fitted for the task of intelligent and adequate citizenship in a modern state. Thus the traditions which are completely of New England to so much as they are necessary to strengthen and illumine the lives and minds of those who come to Harvard must be maintained; those which could the issues, which handicap the university in her attempt to meet with the greatest facility her obligation as an American university must be forgotten.

If Harvard once had a vital duty to perform in meeting the needs of her commonwealth and her New England, she has an even higher duty to perform in meeting the needs of an intellectually careless nation. That she is doing so is apparent to the careful observer, and press or public to the contrary, may she so continue. For the need of University training in the Harvard tradition of intellectual vigor is more than ever necessary for the maintenance of national self respect.