COUNCIL ENDORSES BUDGET--TAKES UP REGISTER IN FINALE

Committee Appointed to Investigate Annual Publication--A. J. Cassatt '27 Is Chairman

At the final meeting of the year held last night, the Student Council, following the acceptance of the recommendations of the Budget Committee, decided to fix the sum of the Budget at $15,000.

After an extensive examination of conditions as they are in the University at present, a committee of the Student Council, headed by J. F. Barnes '27, prepared a report which it submitted for the consideration of the Council. The recommendations were, in brief, that the expenses incurred in conducting philanthropic work by various societies in the University should be handled as a unit by a committee of which the chairman should be the Treasurer of the Student Council.

Field is Finance Chairman

The final decision on the exact way in which the Budget will be collected has not as yet been reached, but a committee, known as the Finance Committee, was appointed, headed by F. V. Field '27, Treasurer of the Student Council, who was made ex-officio chairman of this body. The other members are Alexander Donald '27, J. L. Pool '28, and Winslow Carlton '29.

These men will work under Field this spring in arranging details preparatory to the drive, which will take place at registration time next September.

Committee Also to Be Named

In addition, they will appoint a Budget Committee, consisting of from 20 to 25 men, who will do the actual work connected with the collecting at Memorial Hall and in the gymnasium.

The reasons for the inauguration of this Budget plan are fully explained in the report. "Hitherto", it says, "the College has been asked each year to contribute several times to individual drives or money. The duplication of effort in collection, and the annoyance and inconvenience caused to the individual student, have redounded almost without exception to the detriment of the drives concerned. One drive, advertised as absolutely the only drive, would be more likely to meet with a generous response on the part of the student body."

In addition to the question of the Budget, the Student Council took up, last night, the matter of the Register, and various opinions and ideas were discussed. A committee was appointed headed by A. J. Cassatt '27, with its two additional members, H. W. Bragdon '28 and Barrett Williams '28, to investigate the Register, and to submit more tangible recommendations to the Executive Committee of the Student Council.