GREAT NAVY EIGHT IS FAVORED TODAY IN BASIN REGATTA

Harvard First Year Crew Is Heaviest Afloat--1929 Off at 5; University at 5.45 O'clock.

In the final and largest regatta on the Charles this season, the eights of M. I. T., Annapolis, Cornell, and Harvard will race this afternoon at 5.45 o'clock. The four University crews will row over the full course of a mile and three-quarters, starting at the St. Mary Street Bridge and finishing near the Boston end of the subway bridge.

At 5 o'clock, three-quarters of an hour before the University event. Coach Haines's unbeaten Freshman crew will paddle to the starting line to face the Pennsylvania 1929 eight and the Navy plebes.

Most Important Go in Years

The four-cornered race for University crews this afternoon looms as the most important rowing event held on the Charles River Basin in years. Last year, it is true, four crews battled over the course early in May; but without disparaging Pennsylvania's rowing prestige in the slightest, it can be said that the substitution of this year's Navy crew for the Pennsylvania eight makes today's contest of more importance and interest than last year's race between Penn, Harvard, Cornell, and M. I. T.

This year's Annapolis eight apparently ranks with the greatest crews in the Navy's rewing history. It has beaten three crews this season by large margins, and according to prominent rowing critics, is likely to continue to win races for the rest of the season. Although the famous Glendon father-and-son combination is no longer at Annapolis, the bluejacket crew is rowing as well as any of the eights that rowed under the Glendon regime.

Butler Has Changed Navy Stroke

Coach Butler, the new and youthful mentor of the Midshipmen, was formerly an assistant of Coach Callow of Washington. Therefore the stroke he teaches is distinetly at variance with the Glendon style. However, he has not made the transfer too sharp for the veteran Navy oarsmen and the long Glendon finish, with the leaning back characteristic of Annapolis crews, is still noticeable.

The Navy squad arrived in Boston yesterday; morning, and after breakfasting at the Harvard Club, came out to Cambridge and took an easy row. The men then went to the Oakley Country Club, and in the afternoon took their minds off rowing by wandering over the Oakley links with mashies anl drivers supplied by the Harvard management.

Cornell is Weighty

The Navy crew, though the favorite in today's race, is not the heaviest of the competing crews. The Cornell eight is the rangiest and heaviest of all the crews. Cornell is out to correct the impression it made last year, when the stroke taught by Dr. Lueder seemed extremely ineffective and the Big Red eight was left far behind. At that time the Cornell crew was rowing, as advertised, in the old Courtney style; but the trouble was that the "old Courtney style" was the form taught by the famous Cornell mentor of years past before he had found the winning stroke last spring the Cornell crew seemed to be recovering all the time; the stroke was short and ineffective, the recovery labored and awkward. The odd feature of the recovery, the turning of the blades just before the catch so that the blades are almost parallel to the water with the back sides prominent, has been retained. However, Coach Lueder has wild on fantastic theories. Everything is subjected to analysis. It must be able to satisfy a mind that takes nothing for granted.

There is a large film which manages some seventy public utilities in the United States. Few who are not engineers are able to obtain employment with this company, yet these engineers rarely have an opportunity to practice their profession. They become the heads of departments, the superintendents, and the managers.

Some Start as Salesmen

When they were first employed, some were made salesmen. Undoubtedly they looked back upon four years of hard college work as wasted effort, but they soon saw their error in the rapid advancement which they enjoyed.

A typical case can be quoted. A man with the training of a chemical engineer was employed. He became the head salesman of the industrial gas branch of one of the small companies. In a short time he was made the superintendent of the fastest interurban railway in the world. A position fraught with great responsibilities for an inexperienced young man. The firm, though, has perfect confidence in the young man, for they realize that the engineer's mind will not make any serious error. In a short space of time, the young superintendent will be thoroughly acquainted with all matters dealing with interurban railways and will, in all probability, raise the service to a higher standard than it had previously possessed. A man without the engineering training would not have been chosen for this position under any circumstances.

The greatest trust company in the world is demanding young engineers to be trained for vice presidencies. This certainly is not a branch of engineering practice.

As these young men progress, they draw slowly away from their chosen profession until it becomes merely the background of their success. They can be likened to the sky-scraper that rises majestically above its surroundings, yet if it were not for its foundation it could not be an actuality.

There is one thing than must be kept in mind. The cut and polished stone has a far greater intrinsic value than the one in the rough.

Why an engineering training? It teaches a man to recognize the obvious, the rarest and the most desirable ability that can be created