P. B. H. TEXT BOOK LOAN DRIVE TOPS 500 MARK

SENIOR ENTRY GIVES TOTAL OF 143 VOLUMES

With a total of 560 books turned in during the first week of the collection, the annual drive for used text books staged by the Phillips Brooks House Association approaches the last few days of effort. According to the Librarian, J. C. Dreier '28, in charge, a total of 1000 books will be sought for as a goal.

The Text Book Loan Library, for the benefit of which the book drive is being made, has been instituted very recently by the Phillips Brooks House. To the many students in the college for whom the expense of buying new books would be too great a burden, the Loan Library offers ready aid. At a charge of only five cents per volume, books used in connection with practically every course offered by the various departments may be procured, the borrower having exclusive use of the book during the whole college year. This year some 1600 books are in use. The supply, however, is not yet equal to the demand, and it is to remedy this that the drive for 1000 more books is being carried on at present.

Thus far, according to the librarian, returns have been very large. Many assistants have turned in around 50 books apiece, while one enterprising Senior has extracted 113 volumes from his entry. On the other hand, fully one-third of the appointed assistants have turned in no books at all, while others have been able so far to procure only a small number. Returns from the Freshman dormitories have been noticeably slack.

On next Friday the drive will wind up with a final general collection by automobile from the various assistants. It is expected that the remaining 140 books necessary to complete the quota will come in at that time.