Keeping Faith

THE MAIL

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

May I say a word or two in reply to the two letters of the two gentlemen one a zealons athlete and the other an enthusiastic religionist in the "Mail" columns of the CRIMSON under date of Wednesday June 9?

Please, sir, will the former gentleman kindly tell me who has been rumoring "witless criticism" that "They threw up their arms in despair and say we will build a chapel large enough to fill the yard, one which will leave no room for their vice, one which they will be forced to attend, one which will bring them under the guiding hand of God?"

Again will the latter gentleman kindly inform me who has been and who is advocating that "revered word is meant those narrow, dogmatic views which condemn those who do not conform, which are founded on and thrive on superstition fear and ignorance, and the devotees of which feel it their duty to show their piety by publicly kow-towing at the behest of some dervish who prates, the while about glory, salvation, and sin?"

Furthermore, will the same gentleman advise me if he speaks officially or in the spirit of "the universal priesthood of believers" when he writes: "But if religion means an appreciation of the works of nature and a feeling of admiration for their creator which manifests itself not in blind worship of a concept set up by some one else but in a search for the true Ultimate whatever it be, the regard for the rights and opinions of the fellow men, the desire to lead good, clean, useful lives, and the feeling that each should do his bit for the betterment of society."

Personally I have failed to notice or to observe either of the above views. However, a member of the faculty did tell me that 'Harvard was neutral on the matter of religion.' One has only to take a half year in Freshman Psychology in order to find out that "there ain't no such animal."

Aside from the above, may I suggest in view of the fact that as one ascends the beautiful marble steps of Widener and views the spectacle of the person and the Christian War God on the right and on the left why not erect a charcters "The God of Peace" and thereby keep the faith with these who sleep on Flooders Field," since we went into the World War "to end a war". "The God of Peace" and thereby "keep the faith with these who sleep on Flanders Field," since we went into the World War "to end a war." Sincerely,   John Wesley Grande IT.S.