UNIVERSITY ROWING BODY WANTED STEVENS RETAINED

Alumni Bulletin Publishes Note in Today's Issue

The most interesting development marking the aftermath of the Harvard rowing situation which followed the resignation of Coach Edward A. Stevens as head coach a week ago, is a statement in this week's Harvard Alumni Bulletin, issued today.

The statement is signed by John Richardson '08, chairman of the advisory committee on rowing. It reveals the fact, not generally understood except by those in close touch with the situation, that the advisory committee on rowing definitely opposed and advised against the action of the athletic committee in requesting the resignation of Stevens. The advisory committee, headed by Richardson, who was one of Harvard's greatest stroke oars, is composed of former Crimson oarsmen who have followed closely the development of the crews at Cambridge this season. The rowing committee statement follows:

"On Saturday night, May 29, after the quadrangular race between Annapolis, Harvard, Cornell and Technology, the University crew demanded the appointment of Bert Haines as University coach in place of Stevens for the balance of the year. On Tuesday, June 1, the Athletic Committee, against the definite advice of the Advisory Committee on Rowing, voted to request Stevens to resign. On Wednesday, June 2, he tendered his resignation. His resignation was accepted by the Athletic Committee and Haines was appointed University coach for the balance of the year.

"In the three weeks preceding its last race the crew showed marked improvement. The advisory committee had expected that this improvement would be continued under Stevens. The advisory committee has confidence in Haines and expects that under him the improvement will continue.

"John Richardson '08, "Chairman, Advisory Committee on Rowing."