GENERAL POLICIES

Student reports and criticisms of college conditions are spreading with a rapidity which, might give the meditative cynics an opportunity for the sneering epithet, fad. Were it not for the respectful attention faculties give these undergraduate analyses, they should deserve the appellation in some measure. But the fact that educational authorities in many cases accept the suggestions raises the reports from the sphere of fads to a more practical domain.

From Mount Holyoke comes news of the latest undergraduate investigation of the educational system. And by that chance which has been causing no small amount of surprise since the analytical custom originated, the students have hit upon several constructive ideas. Apparently, Holyoke has been suffering from that form of cultural indigestion which attends an unchecked elective system. Diversity of choice has resulted in a hodge-podge of courses which served the educational god of distribution without proportionate respect for his twin, concentration.

The remedies proposed by the students are along the sound lines now being followed in many colleges. By a considered charting of the four years study, a sound balance between variety and thoroughness may be achieved. By encouraging more intimate relations between instructors and instructed, a true education may be approximated to

With suitable modification of these general policies to fit individual colleges, the progress of learning is obscured for a considerable time. That both students and faculty of the several universities are conscious of such opportunities is indeed encouraging.