ROUGH WATER SENDS OARSMEN FOR HIKE

Canning Strokes Junior Shell as Watts Nurses Blister--Freshmen Practice Racing Starts in Morning

Red Top, Conn., June 15--Heavy rain and a high wind which whipped up white caps on the Thames kept all the crews except the Harvard Junior University eight and the first Yale boat off the water this afternoon. During the morning Coach Haines took his University boat for a six-mile paddle, starting upstream. On the way back the first Crimson boat went over the two-mile course at a fairly low stroke. Captain Winthrop kept the beat between 25 and 30 all the way.

In the afternoon the second boat was sent out despite the rough water, but were only able to paddle a half a mile and then were forced to return. Coach Brown's eight left the float minus the services of Watts, the stroke oar, who was kept out of the boat for today because of a blister on his hand. Canning, number four, took the place of Watts in setting the time, and Sexton, a member of last spring's second Freshman boat, who is now on Coach Newell's combination squad, was put in Canning's seat.

Oarsmen Take Hike

In place of rowing this afternoon, the Crimson oarsmen were sent for a five-mile walk by Coach Haines. As yet the University shell has not been put through a time trial, although it is possible that Captain Winthrop's men will be put through their paces for time tomorrow if the weather improves. This afternoon brought the worst weather conditions with which the eights have had to contend. No changes have been made in any of the boats with the exception of the 'shift occasioned by Watts' blistered hand.

This morning the Freshmen and the seconds spent most of the time working on racing starts which both coaches are placing much emphasis on. The combination eight under Coach Newell went for a seven-mile paddle.