BAY STATE BOYS GAIN FIVE FRESHMAN AWARDS

Harvard Club of Boston Bestows Four Scholarships--Summer Award Also Made

Announcement of the four winners of the Harvard Club of Boston Scholarships, and the winner of the Charles Sumner Scholarship--formerly known as the Charles Sumner Bird Scholarship--were made recently, and the five men named will enter the University as members of the Freshman class this fall.

Those winning the Harvard Club Scholarship are: J. R. Graham 30 West Roxbury, who prepared at the Roxbury Latin School; A. R. Maynard '30 of South Sudbury, Weston High School: F. E. Nugent '30, Allston, who was graduated last spring from Brighton High; and R. S. Smethurst '30, who comes from Marblehead and prepared for college at the local high school.

The Sumner Scholarship, donated by Charles Sumner Bird '77 was won this year by L. E. Belknap '30 of Beverly, a graduate of the Beverly High School.

These scholarships each carry a silpend and are intended for graduates of public high and Latin schools within a radins of 20 miles of the State House. High scholarship is essential for the award, although the committee also considers character qualities of leadership and generally well-rounded development.