RECEPTIONS INAUGURATE YEAR FOR CLASS OF 1930

Lowell, Greenough, Peabody Figure in First Functions for Entering Class

A series of formal and informal meetings has been planned to inaugurate the college year for the class of 1930. Among those who will address the Freshmen at the various receptions to be given from new until Monday are President Lowell, the Reverend Endicott Peabody, headmaster of Groton School, Professor R. B. Merriman '96, F. V. Field '27, president of the CRIMSON, and C. D. Coady '27, captain of the football team.

1930 Registers Today

The first duty of the Freshmen will be registration, which will take place between 10 and 5 o'clock today in Hemenway Gymnasium. For men taking the September examinations, there will be a special registration on Monday, September 27. At 7.30 o'clock tonight there will be an informal meeting of the class of 1930 in the Smith Halls common room at which Dean C. N. Greenough '98 will preside. President Lowell will make a speech of welcome, after which the Reverend Endicott Peabody '83, headmaster of Groton School, will give an address.

Ward Conducts Service

Tomorrow's event will begin at 8.45 o'clock with a 15 minute service in Appleton Chapel at which Professor R. DeC. Ward '89, chairman of the board of Freshman Advisers, will speak. At 9 o'clock the entire Freshman class and all other new students will assemble in the New Lecture Hall to hear four brief talks. Delmar Leighton '19, secretary of the Committee on the Choice of Electives, will speak on choice of studies; Associate Professor J. B. Copant '13 will take up the study of science in college; Assistant Librarian W. B. Briggs will discuss the collegelibrary: and Professor R. B. Merriman '96 will deal with the subject. "How to Get the Most Out of a Big Lecture Course."

Advisers Hold Conferences

At 10.30 o'clock tomorrow. Faculty Advisers will hold office hours to discuss choice of studies. From 12 until 2 o'clock, undergraduate advisers will hold conference hours in the common room of each Freshman dormitory. At 7.30 o'clock there will be an infromal meeting in the living room of the Union at which Assistant Dean L. S. Mayo '10 will preside. Dean C. N. Greenough '98 will speak, followed by J. W. D. Seymour '17. Secretary of the Alumni Association, F. V. Field '27 president of the CRIMSON, and C. D. Coady '27, captain fo the 1926 University football team.

On Saturday, the chapel service will be conducted by Professor W. E. Hocking '01. At 9 o'clock there will be a preliminary meeting of English A. compulsory for all Freshmen except those who have anticipated or who intend to anticipate English A.

An early opportunity to take examinations to meet the language requirements which must be passed off before a student may enter the Junior Class will be given on Saturday afternoon. At 7.30 o'clock an infermal meeting will be held in the living room of the Union at which T. N. Perkins '91, former Fellow of Harvard College will speak Dean Greenough presiding. The other speakers at this meeting have not as yet been announced, but an Assistant Dean will probable talk on some phase of college life.