THE PRESS--

The Academic Year

College graduates, according to Albert E. Wiggam, who is one of our chief advocates of eugenics, have furnished nine out of every ten leaders in all branches of society--church, education, industry, business and politics throughout American history. Presumably Mr. Wiggam has checked up his statistics. To most of us it will be news that nine out of ten American leaders in industry and business have been college men. But assuming that the 90 per cent ratio is correct, it seems obvious that the figures need to be "weighted." Four non-college business men and technicians like John D. Rockefeller, Thomas A. Edison, Henry Ford and Orville Wright might conceivably exercise a more far-reaching influence on economic development in America than four hundred minor "leaders" in business. Two non-college scientists like John Burroughs and Luther Burbank may outweigh how many scientific students of lesser rank? Mark Twain and Walt Whitman should count for something more than their absolute numerical ratio. And in the field of polities it is conceivable that Abraham Lincoln may counterbalance several thousand college-bred members of Congress. We face the old anti-eugenic doubt arising from the considerable role played in the history of the race by the sons of carpenters, camel-drivers and ne'er-do-well pioneers. New York Times.