PIERIAN ENTERTAINS FAMOUS CONDUCTRESS

WILL BE CONDUCTRESS OF NEW BOSTON ORCHESTRA

Ethel Leginska, internationally known as a pianist and woman conductor, whose surprising disappearances have rather added to than detracted from her fame, will speak at the first meeting of the Pierian Orchestra at 7 o'clock tonight in Sever 11. Although announced merely as a meeting for candidates from all departments of the University, it has been requested, due to the presence of Miss Leginska that old members attend also. The meeting is open to all members of the University.

Miss Leginska is conductor of the new Boston Philharmonic Orchestra which will open its first season next month in Mechanics Hall. The orchestra proposes to offer the public good music at reduced prices.

Miss Leginska is Feature

Its special feature is, however, Miss Leginska herself. Abroad she has made a name for herself as an orchestral leader. In America she has on a number of occasions conducted large metropolitan orchestras. A London paper complimented her conducting with the remark that "she is as ambidextrous as a conductor as she necessarily has to be as a pianist." American orchestra have featured her work as exceptional and unique.

Temperament Bothers Managers

Miss Leginska has most recently drawn attention to herself by disappointing various managers in respect to particular engagements. But these exploits belie her fame which consists in traditional eminence as a pianist and more recently fame as a conductress. She is an English woman by nationality and studied first at the Hoch Conservatory and later under Teschetsky. She began touring Europe in 1905, although her first appearance in New York did not come until 1913.

Glee Club Holds Trials

Trials for new members of the University Glee Club will be held tonight and Friday night at 7 o'clock in the Paine Music Building, it was announced yesterday by P. E. Lawrence '27, manager of the Glee Club. Men succeeding in these trials will have an opportunity to participate in the spring trip of the Glee Club which will include Cleveland and Washington. D. C. and also in the Glee Club concerts in and around Boston during the college year.

Competition for the assistant managership of the Glee Club will begin with a first meeting for junior candidates tomorrow in the Music Building at 7.30 o'clock. The second assistant managership competition for Sorhemers will got way Wednesday October 6, at 7 o'clock. Work in these competitions will consist booking and clerical duties.