"FORBIDDEN CITY" VISITOR TO SPEAK

Ate Caterpillers and Monkeys When Lost in Amazon Region--Natives Smoke Four Foot Cigars

Dr. William Montgomery McGovern, a distinguished English explorer, a member of the Royal Geographical and Royal Asiatic Societies, will deliver an illustrated lecture in the Living Room of the Harvard Union at 7.30 o'clock tonight, telling of his adventures on his trip to Lhasa, the forbidden city of Tibet.

Dr. McGovern, recently returned from a trip in the unknown hinterland of the Amazon basin, after uncovering traces of civilization antidating that of the ancient Incas by hundreds of years.

"I had heard many tales from my Indians of a race called the Pogsa, which means animal people," stated Dr. McGovern to a CRIMSON reporter yesterday. "We managed to catch some of them, a most peculiar job. they speak a language which is a combination of clicks, clucks, and gutteral explosious. Their language caused us the most trouble. We would often use nine or ten interpreters to translate the language for us, one passing the story on to the next man, till it finally reached me, after being transferred from dialect to dialect.

"Some of these Indians were very dark, but others were light enough to give rise to 'White Indian' legends.

Misled By Maps

"We were lost once for five weeks," said Dr. McGovern in reply to a question. "The South American has too much imagination. Not satisfied to leave blank the unexplored part of his continent, he fills the map with detail. When one reached a point where the map shows a river, but there is none, it causes uncomfortable confusion. We had to live on monkey meat and caterpillars, great fuzzy ones. I never thought they would be so tough, but these took a lot of chewing.

"The Indians use tobacco in various ways Four-foot cigars are passed about from one man to another much after the fashion of the North American peace pipe.

"I've heard much about Indian treachery", he continued "but I consider the Indians, as fine a set of people as I've ever found. The minds of primitive people are very much the same the world over. You must consider their viewpoint. Then, too, their etiquette is very complicated. They regard the white man as a blundering, bad-mannered barbarian."