John Hazard Is Unsympathetic Toward Ambitious Harvard Man--Has Doubts About Funny Papers and Some Invitations

The back-stage mazes of the Wilbur Theatre, present home of "Queen High", are particularly intricate, and the CRIMSON interviewer was glad at last to see the generous form of John Hazard in the doorway of his dressing room. Following Mr. Hazard inside the reporter was seated and properly entertained with the amenities which are the fashion these days. The conversation took on a mellow tone.

"Some of the Harvard men who come to see me are very amusing", chuckled Mr. Hazard, "They generally want something. One time a boy came in, with prominent New England ancestors and all that, and asked me point blank to introduce him to Miss Groody, the star in my show. Now, I couldn't do that. He was a perfect stranger, you know. But I told him that he might get some friends of hers, and suggested he try Captain Harrigan.

"As you might not guess from his name, Captain Harrigan is Irish and was in the war, and he is a very good friend of Miss Groody's. In fact he's her husband. But the boy didn't know that."

The conversation became pleasanter and Mr. Hazard, becoming curious, asked a question. "What paper is this going to come out in?" he inquired. "I hope it's not-well you know I have an aversion to appearing in any funny papers."

"One time some Harvard men invited me to dinner," he continued with a reminiscent smile. "They all lined up in front of me and the spokesman delivered his speech.

"'Mr. Hazard," he said, "we would like to have you dine with us and--"

"'I'm sorry,'" I broke in, "'but I shall be unable to do so."

"'Bur, Mr. Hazard, we would like it very much to dine with us and . . .'

"I interrupted them again. "I'm sorry,'" I said, "'but I shall be unable to do so... Well, I don't like to do that either, these days.' And," said Mr. Harvard, rising at the advent of a new visitor, "there you are,"