MARILYN MILLER ADVISES LIGHT EATING AND TEMPERANCE TO HARVARD STUDENTS WHO WOULD GAIN ACTRESS FAME

Lightweight Star of "Sunny" Tells How She Keeps Under 118 Pounds and 36 Inches Around

"The Harvard football team, or any other, has nothing on me when it comes to training," remarked Marilyn Miller, peerless queen of musical comedy, last night to a CRIMSON reporter when he had sufficiently mastered the situation to ask her to speak of herself and the secret of her remarkable success on the stage. Miss Miller begins a long run at the Colonial Theatre in Boston Tuesday night in Charles Dillingham's musical comedy production "Sunny", in which she starred for 15 months in New York.

"Routine is necessary for a stage career," continued Miss Miller impetuously, "and it makes a hard life. Severe physical and mental training is necessary for me to keep in trip, to dance and sing nightly upon the stage.

"I attribute my success to the routine of life which I have followed. My mother used to impress upon me the value of a strict routine of life. When I was six years old I made my stage debut as a child toe dancer. This was a rather early start and meant months of hard work before. I was carefully trained for the ordeal. My stepfather and my sisters taught me to dance and I was hailed as one of those child wonders. However, I had to follow strict rules, even in the earlier travels of the Miller family, and my mother set aside certain hours for dancing studying music, taking piano lessons, physical exercise and even a course of modern literature which I had to begin reading at the age of ten. Imagine!" exclaimed Marilyn with a grimace, "who wants to deny that I didn't have a pretty tough time of it when I was a kid?"

"Although our career then was full of hard traveling," she went out, as the reporter nodded his sympathy and thought uncomplimentary things about anyone who would make Merilyn work so hard, and life spent at inferior hotels, my mother insisted upon strict obedience to the routine she had laid out for me. The question of diet was a big one. I was warned under no circumstances should an actress permit herself to get fat. This also applies to college men. I warn them against ice cream potatoes, cake, rice, or anything with much sugar if they want to keep their perfect 36's.

"Strict adherence to diet and hard work has been responsible for the fact that I never weighed more than 118 pounds in my life.

"If anyone at Harvard wants to go on the stage and be successful as an actress I would advocate for him hard work and temperate living, a careful diet, continued practice, strict attention to dance and music lessons, an hour a day with dramatic instructor, and, above all, never to get fat, and," concluded Marilyn with a wink, "nobody ever accused me of being facetious."