GRACEFUL GUESTS

A gesture typifying the friendly, pleasant relationship which has come to distinguish Harvard-Dartmouth athletic events was contributed by the adherents of the Green after the final whistle Saturday, and went partially unrecognized, or worse still was misinterpreted in some quarters. The visiting cheering section had been specifically instructed to remain in the stands until after Harvard had sung its "alma mater". And still they watched and still their wonder grew--the Crimson apparently had no song to honor its name in defeat as well as in victory. The losers were no less amazed. "What manner of men are these, who refuse to celebrate their conquest in the customary and accepted fashion", were the words on all lips as the Dartmouth stands remained respectfully at attention.

When the realization finally came that to wait was futile, Dartmouth tried valiantly to snake dance with all the abandon that the occasion required, but the spell had been broken: Their enthusiasm had been self-suppressed in its spontaneous state, in the cause of sports-manlike conduct--not to insult their opponents with a contempt for the victory. A Harvard football scalp is still a cherished prime in Hanover, though not to be valued higher than a tradition of courtesy.