ARNOLD HORWEEN, HEAD-COACH

Undergraduates and graduates, athletes and more spectators can join hands over the action of the Athletic Association in retaining Mr. Arnold Horween for another season as chief moulder of Harvard football destiny. Whatever has been the result of his first two years' efforts, indifferent success or a gradual building up process, there has never arisen a question as to his pre-eminent qualities as a gentleman and a worthy tutor of young men in the important field of sportsmanship.

Since Mr. Horween gave up his own work two years ago with the purpose of dragging the Crimson out of the football dumps, no brilliant success has attended his efforts. The surprising fact is that he has escaped, publicly, at least, the customary campaign of organized criticism. Pleasant as it would be to point to this virtue of silence as a distinctive Harvard trait, it must be said that much of the credit is due to the work and personal character of Mr. Horween himself. His quiet, unassuming, and business-like manner make him a difficult mark for the anvil chorus. There is always the feeling that he is working to the best of his ability on a difficult job. Above all he has won the respect of his athletic pupils. Harvard football, win or lose, can pride itself on having a coach who is a credit to the game.