TONGUE-TIED

Mr. Charles Edward Russell, well known New York writer and lecturer, has been the first to come forward to the side of Mayor Thompson from the ranks of those who may be loosely called the intellectuals. In a world that seemed alive with nothing but stinging editorials the mayor has found a man with a vocabulary, a sonorous voice and it would seem, ideas.

Part of the testimony of Mr. Russell before the Board of Education, which is endeavoring to convict he superintendent of schools on the charge of An glomanin, was:

"I regard the English speaking union as the most dangerous organization in the world. The grestest menace with which we now are threatened is the advance of the Anglo Sexon. The agliation for closer alliance is drawing the world into two hostile camps, the Anglo-Saxon and the Latin. By foolishly listening to it we have already alienated all of South America."

Mr. Russell has been unfortunate in basing all his logic upon the strength of the lingual link between the two nations. Insofar as it concerns the State of Illinois this strength is non existent, for a law recently passed by the state legislature makes the official language of Illinois no longer English, but American. Mr. Russell's beliefs hold; however, for the rest of the United States, which are still unconsciously guilty of this crime against international good will. In the mean time there will probably be few who see in a similarity of tongues the seeds of an approaching Armageddon.