HOLDS COADJUTING SYSTEM SUPERIOR

Universities There Combine Forms of State and Endowed Institutions--Rely Largely on Lecture Courses

"I believe that the most efficient method of university teaching is obtained by the lecture system, supplemented by tutorial work" Professor J. V. Portus, of the University of Sydney, Australia, told a CRIMSON reporter yesterday. "In Australian universities" he added, "we rely largely upon the lecture system, however, because of lack of sufficient funds to provide a large faculty."

A combination of the state university that is founds particularly in the western United States, and of the private endowed university of the eastern states is the form of organization of the educational institutions of Australia, Professor Portus indicated, and added, "Each of the six provinces of Australia has a university partially supported by the Government, and partially endowed, with the control of the university vested entirely in the hands of a governing board composed of Alumni, ther faculty, and of the Government."

The largest of these universities contains about 2500 undergraduates, but there is a far smaller percentage of graduate students in Australian universities than in such American institutions as Harvard and Yale. Medicine is one of the most widely studied subjects in the graduate work, although law and engineering receive wide attention. A tendency towards specialization and toward the taking of more practical subjects is also seen at the University of Sydney, Professor. Portus pointed out. This inclination, which is found in many English-speaking countries, in Australia is partly the result of the fact that the Government has appropriated funds for the creation of a number of professorships in applied subjects.

The school year, with seasons just reversed from those in the northern hemisphere, starts in March, and runs through the winter until December. The vacation period in January and February is generally used by undergraduates for further study. Honors candidates who are expected to utilize the entire period for study, take their examinations at the end of the vacation in March.

Contrasting the English and Australian methods of study, Professor Portus declared that honors men prepared at Oxford are probably more capable than those who studied in Australia, while students are better prepared by class work at the colonial universities