McKINLOCK LIBRARY PROVING SUCCESSFUL

Freshmen Have Two Reading Rooms in New Dormitory--Many Volumes Given by Dean Greenough

By their steady growth and use the two libraries in McKinlock Hall have shown that they fill a very definite place in the college equipment. With the announcement yesterday of the resignation of Dean C.N. Greenough '98, it is interesting to turn to this one of his many enterprises.

From their very start these libraries were backed by Dean Greenough and he gave enough-books from his own library to form a nucleus from which to start the reading room.

This reading room contains books which are used in connection with English A and English 28 in addition to reference books on general literature. Unlike the Farnsworth Room in the Widener Library, it is a study room as well as a place to read. It serves as a place to which a student may take his work when he is unable to study in his room in the evening. Its shelves are already two-thirds full and there is a fund with which books are carefully being bought. There are three book plates being used, one for books given by Dean Greenought, another for books given by friends, and one with a black space in which to place a donor's name. Freshman can take books from this room at night and return them at 11 o'clock in the morning. The attendance averages about 54 students a day and has shown a already increase.

Across the hall from the reading room is the History 1 room, which is primarily for the use of students in History 4. All of the books which fill most of the shelves, have been either taken from the books in the Lower Reading Room in Widener or bought by the History 1 department. Last week a great many volumes for collateral reading and on fields related to history were placed on the shelves."