UNIVERSITY NINE WINS PRACTICE ENCOUNTER

KETCHUM GIVES THREE HITS AND FANS TEN MEN

A home run by Chase and excellent pitching by Ketchum were the highlights of the baseball squad's first nine inning game of the season yesterday afternoon, which ended with team A on the heavy end of the 4 to 2 score.

Team B gained a lead over the first team in the fifth inning when Chase batted out one of Ketchum's offerings for four bases, and then added another tally to its margin in the next frame. The two point total appeared sufficient to hold off the first team, until a brace of tallies was pushed over in the eighth. After holding the second scoreless for the first half of the ninth, the team A players sewed up the game with another pair of counters.

Burns, veteran center fielder of the first team, gathered in tow hits to lead his team at bat. Six of the first seven men on the first nine's batting list were able to contribute to their team's total of seven hits.

Ketchum, although he passed three men, pitched excellent ball for so cold an afternoon, allowing but three hits and striking out ten men.

Lord was the only players on the first team lineup, aside from the pitchers, who was not a regular last year.

The first team with one change, placing Barbee on the mound, is the most likely combination to face Boston University in the opening game Saturday.

The lineup of yesterday's game follows:

Team A--Burns, cf, Jones, rf, Zarakov, 3b, Lord, 1f, Tobin, 1b, Ullman, 2b, Sullivan, ss, Chauncey, c, Ketchum, Andrews, p.

Team B--Brown, rf, Bennett, cf, Donaghy, 3b, Chase, 2b, McGehee, 1b, Ellison, 1f, Howard, ss, Donaldson, c. Whitmore, Davis, p.