SIEGE PERILOUS

It was a disappointment to the visiting English scholboys to find that their shoes, after a night out, appeared with the dullness that accompanies such sorties on the morning after, when they recaptured them from their doorsills in the corridors of McKinlock. Pushed to no emulation of the native pedal refulgence it is true, the visitors still, after their fashion, set their shoes outside the door to be separated from New England soil by some nocturnal worker. And they found the attempt was bootless. It led Mr. Nugee, their leader, to declare that America's boasted efficiency is in jeopardy when a student calmly allows himself to be enthroned for ten minutes for an operation that could be easily and painlessly accomplished in his sleep.

Perhaps there is a weakness in the Harvard man as a democrat, by a repressed desire for the attentions of body servants. The Yale Toaster guaranteed not to burn the bread, realized it when he said that a Harvard man never sees his janitor except when he comes home in the morning to find him shining his shoes. But if he never sees his janitor and tasted disappointment in the dormitory hotel, which never know a luxurious fulfillment, Massachusetts Avenue still provides him with compensations. One regrats that McKinlock denied the Englishmen acquaintance with those knights in shining armor, the Argentines, the Portuguese and the Greeks.