THE WOLF AT THE DOOR

Last year the Student Council successfully introduced the budget system to take care of the running expenses of undergraduate organizations as well as charities in which the University is interested, a method calculated to save much time and trouble for all concerned. This year the system has worked much less successfully, and more than one appeal has been made that pledges be paid as promptly as possible. In this connection it is particularly significant that the Princeton Student Council which has in recent years employed a community chest for the same purpose has been faced, by the insufficient response met with, to urge that the method of collecting in a lump sum be given up in favor of a return to the former system of individual drives. The Princeton Student Council in reporting its decision deplores the situation that made it necessary.

The situation at Princeton will scarcely pass unnoticed in view of the fact that a very similar situation seems to be in the making at Harvard. At Princeton where the community chest has been used for several years past, the Student Council has further been forced to send letters to the parents or guardians explaining the situation and seeking their help in meeting the obligations neglected by the undergraduates. Such a crisis has not been reached as yet at Harvard; it might never occur. But to such as are prone to take the budget pledge somewhat lightly and to have no proper qualms about neglecting it, the experience at Princeton should be a sufficient warning. The budget pledge system has proved a great convenience and a valuable immunity. It would be highly unfortunate if it were to be found impractical merely on account of insufficient cooperation in its support. In view of the experience at Princeton it would seem that the Harvard Student Council in its recent appeals is doing more than cry "Wolf".