Death of Professor Coolidge Saturday, Loss to University

Associates in Work and Pupils Sent Tributes of Esteem

and such it undoubtedly became in his own particular field of modern international relations. Master of many languages and acquainted with the public men of many countries, he was particularly at home in the history of Central and Eastern Europe, the Near and Far East, and did much to develop the scholarly study of these regions in American Universities. After he gave up the conduct of History 1 in 1905, his teaching and writing centered more and more about recent diplomatic history. To undergraduates he brought a sense of fresh contact with the affairs of the wider world, while among graduate students he trained an active group of acknowledged experts in the history of international relations. Many students he inspired and guided to enter the foreign service of their country. Both students and colleagues found in him a firm friend, and hold him in deep, and, enduring affection."

Professor E. F. Gay, Professor of Economic History wrote: "No one can fill, in the University and in the nation, the place left by Professor Coolidge. He was a great scholar and trainer of scholars in the wide field of modern history. He was a great librarian, building up, with rare catholicity of interest, a treasure-house and working-place for scholars. Here I wish especially to bring tribute to him as the great editor of "Foreign Affairs". When the Council on Foreign Relations established this journal, Profesors Coolidge was chosen as its editor because he was preeminently qualified by life-long preparation, recognized leadership, and easy mastery of an extraordinary range of knowledge in international affairs. The position of authority, both abroad and at home, attained by "Foreign Affairs" during the past five years, it owes primarily to his devotion and dispassionate judgement. Teaching, writing and editorial labor he gave to the nation, to his friends and colleagues all unforgettable loyalty and inspiration."

William Phillips '00, at present minister to Canada, telegraphed as follows: "The Foreign Service of the United States has sustained a great loss in the death of Professor Coolidge. Through his immediate and intimate knowledge of the political affairs of our country his broad and sympathetic understanding of their problems and his capacity to impart his knowledge, he had become a profound inspiration to all students of international relations. The official positions which he has so ably held in the American legations in St. Petersburg and Vlenna and later in Chili, Sweden, and Northern Russia and especially in Paris during the peace Conference when he served as the principal representative of the American delegation to survey and report conditions in Central Europe and the Balkans, all contributed to his immense store of practical experience. The friendly compacts which he had reestablished with statesmen in foreign countries kept him intimately in touch with the world-wide movements. We have all lost a great teacher, and a friend who because of the nobility of his character was particularly qualified to interpret the affairs of other nations and so to enlighten his own countrymen."

Professor J. B. Munn '12, a member of the faculty of New York University, and prominent in library affairs paid the following tribute: "By his wide scholarship and remarkable executive ability Professor Coolidge secured for the Harvard Library not merely preeminence among American University libraries but the respect and admiration of scholars and libraries throughout the world."