EXPLORER DESCRIBES YUNNANFU CONDITIONS

ARBORETUM PROPERTY ESCAPES DESTRUCTION IN RIOTS

Recent news of the expedition to Northern China undertaken by Dr. J. F. Rock, of the Arnold Arboretum, under the auspices of the National Geographic Society, has been received by Professor Oakes Ames '98, Chairman of the Division of Biology, in a colorful letter from Professor Rock.

Professor Rock writes from Yunnanfu that after going through a "terrific typhoon for two and a half days with a wind velocity of 130 miles per hour and the barometer at 27.90, during which my bed was torn out of the floor and turned over while I was in it," he finally reached Japan.

"The situation here in Yunnanfu," he continues, "is very critical. Robbers are in control of the railway and in order to have peace I rented a small railway car, locked all entries, closed all windows, and blinds, barricaded the door and then I had an unmolested journey. The country is in a bad way. A battle is expected any moment for the control of Yunnanfu. Troops are facing each other only 30 miles east of the city wall. To the south Tooyin of Zemao has declared his independence and has called all the pirates to his assistance. Nevertheless I am going quietly ahead with arrangements for the expedition to the northwest. The bridge across the Hsiangtung river has been taken away and there is no connection between Cheatung and Yunnanfu."

Professor Rock says in his letter that at the time of writing his baggage and property of the Arnold Arboretum were in the hands of an gent of the Standard Oil Company, and that as soon as the road was open he would be able to ship the latter to Yunnanfu and from there forward it to Boston.