THE ANGLOPHILE

President William T. Cosgrave of the Irish Free State paid a visit to Chicago a day or so ago, was received with enthusiasm and shown the sights of the city, including Mayor Thompson. The reception was characterized by good feeling and easy familiarity. There was no disturbance to mar the festivities, and the welcome to the Free State President was genuine and hearty. The fact that the reception was an unqualified success is attested by the fact that, according to general agreement, more skill hats were in evidence than on any similar occasion on record, whether in honor of royalty, movie stars or prize fighters.

All day the best of feeling prevailed between the Mayor and the visiting President. They left the railway station arm in arm, they drove about the city in an open car to see and to be soon. For the official reception a painting of the Free State President, decorated in red, white, blue, and green, with appropriate mottoes in Gaelic and English beneath, left the right atmosphere, keeping in the foreground the bond of sympathy that exists between Chicago and Ireland. Such was the spirit of the day. President Cosgrave is quoted to the effect, that Mayor Thompson would be an effective member of his cabinet, if he were in it, Mayor Thompson on his side told of the plans of the Thompson family, controlling the waterways from the Great Lakes to the ocean, to the end that freight might be shipped between Chicago and Dublin for seven dollars a ton. To top off the felicities, "Bathouse John" Coughlin, dean of the Chicago Aldermen, on behalf of the members of the City Council, presented President Cosgrave with a testimonial of greeting.

Thus Mayor Thompson has entertained a visiting potentate and made for good feeling between Chicago and one, at least, of the British Isles. In Chicago no bricks were thrown at President Cosgrave, for "Big Bill" had instructed his people that such procedure is not good form in receiving an honored visitor. Chicago has outstripped Boston in its cordiality to a British sympathizer; for Cosgrave is so looked upon by the Irish Republicans. His omission of a visit to Boston is generally ascribed to a fear of hostility from that direction in Boston. The situation is anomalous. But then they say that some one sent "Big Bill" a monocle for Christmas.