THE ARNOLD ARBORETUM

Attendant upon the recent contingent gift of $50,000 by Edward S. Harness, to the Sargent Memorial Permanent Endowment Fund, the fortunes of the Arnold Arboretum have reached a critical stage. For Mr. Harness' generous offer will not be payable until the contributions of the country at large equal the amount of $460,000 already donated to the million dollar campaign by greater Boston. Much is at stake, however, during the next few weeks because of a full in the contributions which have been coming in from the nation-wide campaign, and it is incumbent not only upon the graduates of the University but upon all garden and tree lovers throughout the United States to renew their interest if the two proposed new research courses are to materialize.

Aside from the substantial addition the Arnold Arboretum makes to the equipment and resources of the University and the indebtedness of every Harvard man to the late Charles Sprague Sargent for the colossal achievement in making the Arboretum the successful natural research institution it is today, the nation itself cannot afford to ignore the tremendous significance of the Arboretum, Artistically and economically its influence might well be said to extend throughout the world. It certainly fills a unique place in American, and while the importance of the study of plant genetics and the hybridization of trees may present only vague and jejune append to the public mind, comparatively little botanical sympathy or inclination is prerequisite to a realization of the artistic and economic need for forest preservation and plant pathology. The greatness of the Arboretum rests upon the fact that it is a pioneer, in this field, and, its objective being of national importance, financial hindrance is not to be tolerated.

With the greater Boston limit seemingly reached the success of the campaign will now depend upon the response of the nation to its appeal. With large committees working in most of the major cities, with the worthy and deserving cause, with University graduates behind it, there is every possibility and hope that the goal will be attained and the Arboretum enabled to enter upon another phase of its active and beneficial work.