NAVY BUILDING PLANS BASED ON NATION'S NEED

WILBUR STRESSES IMPORTANCE OF MODERN INVENTIONS

"I want to emphasize the fact that in our building program, our plans are based on our own needs; we are rounding out the fleet to form a homogeneous unit to protect the country against our enemies," was the statement made by C. D. Wilbur, Secretary of the Navy, to a CRIMSON reporter yesterday.

"This work is being done regardless of the number of ships, submarines, or destroyers that any other country has. Our attempt is to create a well-balanced fleet," the Secretary said.

The problem of today is to utilize modern inventions in the American Navy. "Of course the personnel takes an important part in this process," the Secretary remarked, and to illustrate his point he remarked on the importance of the work of a mechanic, who, by doing a poor riveting job, allows oil to leak from a submarine. Thus a slick is made on the surface, and the submersible ship is betrayed to her enemy.

The same man went aboard the U. S. S. Washington when she was sunk in carrying out the disarmament agreement, and sat in a chair or her deck to learn first-hand what would happen when a 2000-pound bomb was exploded along-side of her.