PHILIPPINE AND PORTO RICAN TEAMS TO MEET DEBATERS

Next League Debate to Take Place in February--Teams From Williams and Pennsylvania to Be Met

Two new debating teams, one from the Philippine Islands and the other from Porto Rico have just been added to the schedule of the University debating team, it was announced last night by A. F. Reel '28, president of the Harvard Debating Council. The speakers from the Philippine Islands will represent the University of the Philippines, which is located at Manila. The other team will come from the University of Porto Rico, at Rio Piedras. At the same time the names were announced of the next two colleges against which the University speakers will debate in the second series of the Intercollegiate triangular debates.

It is understood that this is the first time in the history of the Debating Council that the activities of the Council have been extended to include a foreign team other than the English teams. The team from Porto Rico will journey to Cambridge some time in April for its contest, to be followed the next month by the Philipine team. The exact dates will be announced later. The question for neither of the debates has as yet been definitely decided, but it is expected that the questions will deal with the problem of international relations.

In the next league debate the University speakers will meet the representatives from the University of Pennsylvania on February 20 at Philadelphia. The question was to have been "Resolved, That all, nations should abandon extraterritoriality in China", but a recent decision of the two universities has prompted a change in the subject which will be announced later. On February 25 the University orators will face the Williams debaters in Cambridge. The subject is still undecided.

Candidates for the next league debate will be called out when the midyear examinations are over. The new system of selecting the debaters by means of the round-table plan, which dispenses to a large extent with the old method of choosing the speakers by means of tryouts, will be used in the next debating competition.