RUNNERS GET INITIAL TEST SATURDAY NIGHT

CAPTAIN O'NEIL SLATED TO FACE HAHN IN MILE

On Saturday evening at 8 o'clock, when the University track team toes the mark in the Knights of Columbus meet at Mechanics Hall, the winter track season will get officially under way.

Although he could not be reached last night, it is believed that Coach E. L. Farrell is none too optimistic over this year's prospects, because of Harvard's weakness in the weight and hurdle events.

The outstanding events of the meet will be the University and Freshman relay races with Holy Cross. Captain A. H. O'Neil '28 will be the only non-Sophomore of the quartet, the other three men being C. M. Lauterhahn '30, V. L. Hennessy '30, and F. E. Cummings '30.

The Freshman outfit shows less prospective power, according to sport followers who have been watching practice. The first year men who are scheduled to run are A. L. Watkins '31, J. P. Gray '31, R. J. Boches '31, and W. C. Rowe '31.

As the Knights of Columbus meet is the only one in which an unlimited number of men can be entered, Coach Farrell will use 80 of his charges, taking them from all of the four college classes.

The contests Saturday are really considered more as practice for the coming season. During the season proper, six members of the University team will meet a team from the University of Maryland in New York on Thursday, February 2 in the Millrose Meet and another limited number will run in the B. A. A. meet to be held on Saturday February 4.